northern lights

northern lights
image

Wednesday 22 January 2014

The melodies of old days


Recently  a friend had written about the infirmatives of old age.Most of those who commented on that post had expressed that they are scared of old age After reading the views/comments of the people I decided to write  my experience of old age. I had written a blog on this subject two years ago. I am updating the post written by me earlier.



Welcome old age or is  it  golden age!! The beauty of childhood and the glory of  youth has given way to quietitude and tranquility of  old age.Looking backward I see not only a life of  fulfilment and success but  also that of trials and tribulations. The arrival of old age  has unfolded  new hopes and aspirations of a kind never  experienced before. My life is now  more regulated.I find pleasure in things which I never even noticed  before. I have all the time in the world to  give fruition to my hobbies and desires which were lying beneath my subconscious mind. I am now 78 years old and leading a happy life. The whole day I am busy. The day starts  with reading a news paper. After breakfast I  make phone calls to my friends and relatives. I  dress up  neatly. I have seen some old people sitting in their quilt  the whole day. They do not bother to change their clothes.  I sit with my lap top. I can sit the whole day in front of the lap top, without getting bored.I play games on 'mind jolt games'  and 'scrabble' and have a blog. Occasionally I play cards with my husband.I do not sleep during day time.

 I spoke to some oldies  to know their views about ageing.Majority of the people feel that they are now relaxed and at peace with themselves. I remember Somerset Maugham's  words,'Old age has its pleasures,which though different,are not less than the pleasures of youth'.It has been observed that  as we grow older, we become more tolerant;we acquire the ability to control our emotions  much more notably than when we were young.The transition from youth  to old age is much more smooth  than we anticipate.A very unique  feeling of  spiritual  glory overtakes an individual.The vision of the God Almighty which  brings harmony and a sense of surrender  is  visible. This is not to say that  in a youth  there are no such emotions but  with the passing of years this affinity   with the Supreme comes to the fore.There is no doubt that physical infirmities slowly  make their way and take charge of the human body.One has to be  fortunate  to  be spared of the onslaught  of these irritants. Fading vision ,  hearing capacity   diminishing, and weakening of  joints  are common ailments of old age.In olden days such problems might have prevented people  from performing their daily  activities but  now  prompt and effective  medication is available at affordable  price and does not in any way become a hurdle in performing   daily chores. Now is the time to observe and enjoy the wonders of nature, little birds twittering ,squirrels running at jet speed and  hordes  of  monkeys descending  from no where and disturbing the  flora and fauna  of the neighbourhood!! In   younger days where was the time  to even notice  such  captivating and bewitching sights.A saying by a famous poet' Sans eyes, sans teeth, sans every thing', no longer holds true in  the modern age. I have some medical problems. I am on wheel chair, but I never crib about this  condition.With old age  some physical ailments do make their way  which affect every one, but at the same time medication is also available. We must have a strong will power to ignore  the troubles and lead a normal life. My right hand fingers  do not have the energy to write. Holding a pen or operating the key pad is difficult. I have found a method  to deal with this  problem. I use  a ball pen to tick the alphabets on my  key pad. I even wrote  a  whole book by  this  method. I use the computer to write my washer man's account on 'Excel' in my computer. There is no difficulty, which is insurmountable.

I am fond of music, so  while on the computer I switch on old songs. Early morning, along with tea, I and my husband enjoy listening to devotional songs. I see movies on 'You Tube'. We have an home theatre. Children generally see new movies in that. If they watch old ones then I join them. Before I sleep at night, I read some book. 

  Most important  factor at this age  is  family bonding which tends to get  strengthened. In our youth we were so much engrossed  in our profession that  we  could hardly pamper and  cuddle  our children.  We were more concerned about  teaching them good manners and  disciplining them.  Now when  we are  old we are more indulgent towards our grand children. Every move and every action of our grand children  thrills us .The roles are now reversed. In fact  they   decide and dictate and  we don't have the heart to disappoint them!! To maintain  harmony  and peace we allow our children  to have their  own space and  privacy. They are where we were once! They must have the liberty to manage their affairs.
         It  is unfortunate that  in some households harmonious relations  are not maintained. On one side the aged parents  feel neglected  and  the other side the children   treat   their  own parents as  a  burden. Generally  lack of understanding and adjustment lead  to such a situation. In fact both sides  need counseling.
  I  must end with a happy note that old age  is melodious and not malicious.




9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with all your points. Somehow, the things that irritated me when i was young no longer bother me, and you right we are more indulgent to our own children, and we start looking at things from a different perspective.
    I am glad that you have found harmony with your family and with life.
    I wish more and more people realize that, and stop controlling, cribbing, and complaining about everything, for in this way, neither are they happy nor are they able to make others happy.
    Wish you the very best in life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rama. All these things don't matter now. I am enjoying life.

      Delete
  2. You really are an inspiration Ushaji, the positive attitude with which you have taken the flipside of old age in your stride, is something I hope to remember always in my journey. Life is like a giant roller coaster ride, thrilling at times and sometimes scary too but always an exciting ride filled with twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Reshma. Life teaches us so many lessons provided one is a willing learner.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, ma'am! love the way you live your life!! You truly are an INSPIRATION!!!

    Infact, i find around me enough examples . I like the way retired people enjoy their life. One of my neighbour couple aged 67 and 62 have just learnt swimming. That is the spirit of most senior citizens around me.

    Age is just a number, wishing you many more happy and healthy years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, hats off to your approach and attitude usha madam. If I live long enough to see my old age and my memory is intact then, I am sure this post would keep surfacing in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I for one refuse to grow old.
    In fact,it's all in the mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. The core of the problem is this: When one ignores their parents in their old age, they are bound to be ignored, in return (when their old age comes). Children generally follow whatever example is set by elders. Because of this, certain parents try to control their kids so much that what they did to their parents, their kids will not do to them. But at the end of the day, Destiny has its way.

    I am sorry for being so blunt as this is not applicable for all families, but this is what is happening in many families.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add: I appreciate your spirit. Keep it up! :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete